Breathing is essential, of course but we often do not pay attention to how we hold our breath during the day or night. It is an excellent tool to relax oneself and clear the mind.
This is a breathing exercise I learned from the website of Dr. Andrew Weil, M.D., who is an Integrative Medicine specialist. This exercise can be done anywhere, and in any position but you can start in a seated position.
- Put your tongue behind your upper front teeth.
- Exhale completely through your nose.
- Close your mouth and inhale queitly through your nose for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to the count of eight.
This is one breath. Inhale and repeat three more times.
This is calming!! Try it!